Most of Hadrian’s Wall from the outskirts of Newcastle as far as turret 33b further west lies under the Military Road, built in the aftermath of the Jacobite uprising of 1745. At Heddon, though, for a short distance the road turns slightly north, and stretches of Hadrian’s Wall 220 metres long and of the Wall-ditch to its north are visible. This fragment of the Wall is the best preserved of all those so far excavated which were built to broad gauge – the original specification for the Wall when building began about AD 122. A late medieval or post-medieval corn-drying kiln cut into the core of the Wall here is an example of the many ways in which its ruins were exploited by people living along its line.
Opening times : Open any reasonable time during daylight hours
For this and more historical landmarks, why not treat yourself to an English Heritage pass? Prices start from £4.00, find out more information here