On the banks of the River Wear, in a beautiful wooded setting, stand the extensive remains of Finchale Priory. It was founded in 1196 on the site of the hermitage of St Godric, a retired sailor and merchant, who settled here after a life of adventure and travel. The priory was an outpost of Durham Cathedral and functioned as a holiday retreat for the monks of Durham until its suppression in 1538.
The story of Finchale can be read in its surviving remains, from St Godric’s original church and tomb through the 13th century priory and its later rebuilding.
Opening Times: Open 10am-5pm daily from April to October. From October to March Finchale is open from 10am-4pm.
Free car parking is available on the main road on Cocken Road but it can get busy.