Do you know who to ring in an emergency? What about Visa’s? How much do I tip? Get the lowdown before you book
Currency: £ (GBP)
Time Zone: GMT
Emergency Number: 999
Most visitors of European nationality will not be required to get a visa to enter the UK, however, this may change in the future due to the UK leaving the European Union. Some other countries such as the US, Canada, Brasil & Argentina will have visa-free entry for 6 months (subject to UK Visitor rules). To check whether you need a visa to enter the UK, please check here.
Hospitals within Newcastle & Gateshead
- Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI) – Newcastle – A&E Dept
- Freeman Hospital – Newcastle
- Queen Elizabeth Hospital – Gateshead – A&E Dept
In an emergency, contact the police, ambulance, or fire department on 999. This number is free to call – only use it in a genuine emergency.
To report non-urgent crime, contact your local police station by calling 101.
- Only use taxis or registered black cabs.
- Try to avoid walking alone at night. Keep to well-lit main roads.
- Beware of wearing headphones – they reduce awareness of your surroundings.
- In the UK, cars drive on the left. To ensure you cross roads safely, only use designated crossings, only cross when the green man is showing and take note of the signs indicating “look right” or “look left” to spot any oncoming traffic.
Staying safe in bars and restaurants
- Make sure you keep your property out of sight and safely under the table.
- Don’t accept drinks from strangers.
- Check up on your friends by phone or text to make sure they got home safely and vice-versa.
Keep your belongings safe
- Don’t leave your bag unattended anywhere in Newcastle – this can lead to a security alert.
- Keep your purse or wallet close to your body and don’t carry too much cash.
- When using a cashpoint, check that no one is looking over your shoulder and that the ATM hasn’t been tampered with. Cover the keypad so no one else can see your PIN number.
- Keep your mobile phone, MP3 player, camera and other gadgets out of sight in your pocket or handbag when not in use.
- Record details of your electronic serial numbers (ESNs).
- Inform your service provider and police if your phone or other valuables are stolen or lost. Dial 101 for your nearest police service.
Tipping is appreciated but not always appropriate in the UK. There are some situations where it is customary, for example in restaurants (over a certain amount of people) and polite such as in taxis. Ultimately tips (or gratuities) are discretionary and depend on the quality of the service you receive.
Newcastle United Tickets
Newcastle United is the region’s only Premier League football team and it just so happens to hold the accolade of the most bars within a 1-mile radius of the stadium than any other ground in the country. If you want to buy tickets to see the Magpies play then start by looking here
If you have problems booking tickets online, then call 0344 372 1892 or go to the box office located in the Milburn Stand, just up from the Bobby Robson Statue.
Paid-for matchday ticket collections take place from the windows at the back of the Gallowgate End Stand, above NINE Bar.